Haggard PTA Reflections Art Program
"I WILL CHANGE THE WORLD BY..."
Every year Plano ISD students participate in the National Reflections Art Program. Students create original works of art in as many of the categories as they choose: Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music, Photography and Visual Art.
Start creating art now! All entries are due the Friday, October 29.
Entry Deadline: October 29, 2021
Prizes, certificates, and ribbons are given to top entries.
Award of Excellence entries move on to Plano ISD Council of PTAs Reflections. From there, a small percentage move on to the Texas PTA (State) and National PTA levels.
All entrants must have a current PTA member in their household for this school year. To Join or Renew PTA Membership, click on Haggard Middle School PTA - Membership (membershiptoolkit.com)
"What is the Reflections Art Program?"
The National PTA Reflections Program is America's oldest and largest arts education program of its kind. Reflections welcomes students of all grade levels (Pre-K to 12th) and abilities to explore and be involved in the arts. Students are encouraged to reflect on the common theme and create original artistic works in the categories of dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography, and visual arts.
- There is no limit on the number of entries per student as long as the rules are followed.
- Program Rules English | Spanish
TWO WAYS TO ENTER: PAPER DIGITAL OR PAPER ENTRY FORM
- DIGITAL STUDENT ENTRY FORM https://forms.gle/zQpycT3oVohqFDy17
- STUDENT PAPER ENTRY FORM English |Spanish
- Each entry must be accompanied by an official entry form linked above.
- Reflect the current theme in each entry.
- Guidelines and requirements must be met or the entry will not be judged (see the program rules above).
- Submit completed entries in person or ONLINE.
- Entry Deadline: FRIDAY, OCTOBER 29, 2021
- Please email us with any questions at email@example.com
"What do we win? Is this a contest?"
- This is not technically a contest. It is truly a program hosted by PTAs (local, council, state and national), run by volunteers, created to give students a forum to explore the arts and expand their interests and talents.
- Entries are judged by local professionals volunteering their time and talents.
- Elementary age divisions are Primary: K-2 and Intermediate: 3-5 and Special Artist (for students who qualify)
- Entries are divided into Age Division then Art Category. Judges base decisions on the artist statement explaining how well the concept fits the theme, mastery of the medium (or how well students used the materials) and the overall creativity. *A well-developed concept is more important than technique.*
- Students are individually judged on their entry and not in comparison to the other students so there can be multiple awards given within the groups.
- All entrants will be recognized each entry! **Art prizes, certificates and ribbons are given to top entries!**
- Ribbons and certificates will be given for the following awards (a percentage of entries receive awards):
- Award of Excellence (blue ribbon)
- Award of Merit (red ribbon)
- Honorable Mention (white ribbon)
- Entries will be displayed at the school and top entries will be featured in the yearbook.
- Local Award of Excellence entries advance to Plano ISD Council of PTAs judging in December every year.
- If the entry was submitted digitally, it will need to be turned in physically for Council judging.
- A small percentage of entries are awarded at Council; then one entry per age and category (no more than 30 total) advance to the Texas PTA State level. From there they may move on to the National PTA level.
- The Texas PTA judging rules state only a small percentage of items can be awarded at the Council level:
Overall Award of Excellence 1 per age division and art category; only 23 total items are going to State in 2020
Award of Excellence (Blue) 10% of the entries, OAE are chosen to move on to State from this group
Award of Merit (Red) 15% of the entries
Honorable Mention (Yellow) 25% of the entries
To learn more about the judging processes or anything related to the National PTA Reflections Program, visit the Plano ISD Council of PTAs Reflections website.
- Overall Award of Excellence entries are chosen from the Award of Excellence group, so not all Award of Excellence will get the Overall award.
- Those entries are shipped to Texas PTA so they may not be returned until the end of the Spring semester.
- Entries awarded at the Council level will also be recognized at the last Spirit Rally of the year along with the Local awards.
- Students advancing past Council have chances to win monetary prizes for their art!
- Plano PTA Council of PTAs hosts an awards ceremony each year in the Spring (usually April) for students who participated in the Council level judging where they get ribbons and other prizes.
- Any awards from State judging by Texas PTA are also celebrated and awards are given by Texas PTA and their sponsors like Whataburger. Some students are invited to the awards ceremony in Austin.
**Be recognized for your creativity!**
For 2020, art was submitted digitally and will likely continue for future years at the campus level...
To see more about how to submit your art digitally,
follow directions on this video to prepare for 2021:
"Plano ISD Council of PTAs Reflections Awards 2020"
The Reflections Program for 2020 is complete!
This video is a celebration of all students in Plano ISD who were awarded at Council PTA, Texas PTA and National PTA Reflections. Congratulations!